"Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece." ~Author Unknown

Sunday, May 3, 2009

La Perdida


Before reading La Perdida I found myself very hesitant to read it. I guess you can say I "judged the book by it's cover" which I shouldn't have. The comic book set up of it really threw me off and did not look appealing to me. After reading the first few pages I got used to the pictures and it really helped me get a visual of what the characters looked like instead of invisioning them myself.

I enjoyed the character Carla and her passion for wanting to become more "mexican" and learn more about her heritage. It made me think about my Italian background and want to learn more about it. I enjoyed Carla's desire to want to conform to her Mexican background, but of course she was going to run into some problems along the way. I liked how this book had so many different types of characters in it. Harry, Carla's old time fling, Oscar, the pretty boy who sells drugs, and her wingman Memo.

I liked how this book demonstrated the struggles of someone and how sometimes you have to "get lost" to find yourself. Making mistakes and learning from yours and others mistakes are what push us to grow up as humans. Everyone goes through a point in their life where they are trying to find themselves and I really think Carla does this by the end of La Perdida. Overall I enjoyed the book, but I am not sure if I truly enjoyed the graphic part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment