"Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece." ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Skim


At first I was hesitant on whether or not I would enjoy reading another graphic novel. I was not the biggest fan of La Perdida so I was not sure if I would like this book either. Surprisenly, I did like it. The graphics were a lot different in this book compared to La Perdida. I was able to follow the book easier and it was a quick read. I found myself looking at the pictures a lot more in this book which helped me get a great visual of Skim herself. The fact that I was reading her diary was different. It was a very random was to read a novel, but it was very realistic. Skim is a girl going through adolescence and she has many thoughts and is indecisive. You can see her indecisiveness throughout the novel because she crosses many things out and rewrites them. At first I only thought about the aspects of the book according to how I felt during adolescence, but I soon realized that this book can apply to anyone. As we get older I believe we still have desires and wishes. I also believe that we are confused as we grow older as to who we are. We need to "find ourselves" and realize what we really want out of life. It is not just through adolescence that we experience this. I was a little dissapointed at the end of the book and how it ends, but then I thought about it and it made sense to me. Skim isn't done with her journey yet. She has much more to experience in life, as we all do...

1 comment:

  1. I like how you pointed out that you can apply the novel to anyone, in any stage of life. When I read it I didn't come to that conclusion but it makes a lot of sense. I know how very indecisive I am now and realize we all really are just trying to figure out what we want. Could it be that when we figure it out and obtain it, our desires change? It sure seems like mine do, ha. I think her indecisiveness is definitely characterized by the way she crosses things out. I think that's interesting; almost like is she doing it for herself? Or someone else?

    ReplyDelete