"Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece." ~Author Unknown

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Like Water for Chocolate


What if someone told us all that we could not love who we wanted? I know for a fact my world would be turned upside down. I can't imagine the feeling that Tita had when she found out she could not be with Pedro. How could a mother not want her daughter to experience love? I realize that Mama Elena was not able to be with the man she loved, due to his death, but it boggles my mind as to why she would not want the best for her daughter.

I thought that there were many strong relationships throughout the book, but they all discluded Mama Elena. I believe everyone in the house made eachother stronger and built relationships because they were all eachother really had. Not only was Tita in love with Pedro, but she shares relationships with Chencha, Roberto, Esperanza, Gertrudis, and Dr. Brown. Tita seems to be the person in the center of everyone that bonds them all together.

I really enjoyed the relationship of Tita and Pedro. It illustrated a picture of love that was realistic and everlasting. Sometimes in life, we can't always get what we desire the most. Life and love are hard, but I think they are meant to be in order to make us stronger people. Like Water for Chocolate was a much easier and more enjoyable read compared to Love. I think it is a great book of hope...

2 comments:

  1. I can somewhat relate to being told that I couldn't love a certain person...my parents didn't strictly forbid it like Mama Elena but they definitely weren't happy about it. It is not very easy and I can't stretch my imagination to see how it would feel to have that person marry my sister!
    I like how you pointed out that Tita was in the center that bonded them all together. It makes an even clearer point when you think about how she was the provider of all the meals which also bonds everyone together.
    I love your final comments and agree with them completely. Their relationship is definitely realistic and you can't always get what you desire most. Great job of linking the novel to real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how this book could be related to real life as well. I think Mama Elena and Rosaura had a decent relationship, but that was the only one I saw. I liked how you connected everyone to Tita. In some sick way I think Mama Elena was jealous of her own daughter. I think since she had a bad experience with love her daughter deserved it too. Mama Elena was a nasty woman. Tita was such a pleasant girl who was a great cook. Even with how mean her mom was Tita could come through it and be successful with her cooking. I think this really upset Mama Elena and showed how strong of a character Tita was.

    ReplyDelete